E-2 Treaty Investors

E-2 Treaty Investors

The E-2 nonimmigrant classification allows a national of a treaty country (a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation) to be admitted to the United States when investing a substantial amount of capital in a U.S. business.  Certain employees of such a person or of a qualifying organization may also be eligible for this classification.  (For dependent family members, see “Family of E-2 Treaty Investors and Employees” below.)

Who May File for Change of Status to E-2 Classification

If the treaty investor is currently in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status, he or she may file Form I-129 to request a change of status to E-2 classification.  If the desired employee is currently in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status, the qualifying employer may file Form I-129 on the employee’s behalf.

How to Obtain E-2 Classification if Outside the United States

A request for E-2 classification may not be made on Form I-129 if the person being filed for is physically outside the United States.  Interested parties should refer to the U.S. Department of State website for further information about applying for an E-2 nonimmigrant visa abroad.  Upon issuance of a visa, the person may then apply to a DHS immigration officer at a U.S. port of entry for admission as an E-2 nonimmigrant.

General Qualifications of a Treaty Investor

To qualify for E-2 classification, the treaty investor must:

  • Be a national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation
  • Have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States
  • Be seeking to enter the United States solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise.  This is established by showing at least 50% ownership of the enterprise or possession of operational control through a managerial position or other corporate device.

An investment is the treaty investor’s placing of capital, including funds and/or other assets, at risk in the commercial sense with the objective of generating a profit.  The capital must be subject to partial or total loss if the investment fails.  The treaty investor must show that the funds have not been obtained, directly or indirectly, from criminal activity.  See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(12) for more information.

substantial amount of capital is:

  • Substantial in relationship to the total cost of either purchasing an established enterprise or establishing a new one
  • Sufficient to ensure the treaty investor’s financial commitment to the successful operation of the enterprise
  • Of a magnitude to support the likelihood that the treaty investor will successfully develop and direct the enterprise.  The lower the cost of the enterprise, the higher, proportionately, the investment must be to be considered substantial.

bona fide enterprise refers to a real, active and operating commercial or entrepreneurial undertaking which produces services or goods for profit.  It must meet applicable legal requirements for doing business within its jurisdiction.

Marginal Enterprises

The investment enterprise may not be marginal.  A marginal enterprise is one that does not have the present or future capacity to generate more than enough income to provide a minimal living for the treaty investor and his or her family.  Depending on the facts, a new enterprise might not be considered marginal even if it lacks the current capacity to generate such income.  In such cases, however, the enterprise should have the capacity to generate such income within five years from the date that the treaty investor’s E-2 classification begins.  See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(15).

General Qualifications of the Employee of a Treaty Investor

To qualify for E-2 classification, the employee of a treaty investor must:

  • Be the same nationality of the principal alien employer (who must have the nationality of the treaty country)
  • Meet the definition of “employee” under relevant law
  • Either be engaging in duties of an executive or supervisory character, or if employed in a lesser capacity, have special qualifications.

If the principal alien employer is not an individual, it must be an enterprise or organization at least 50% owned by persons in the United States who have the nationality of the treaty country.  These owners must be maintaining nonimmigrant treaty investor status.  If the owners are not in the United States, they must be, if they were to seek admission to this country, classifiable as nonimmigrant treaty investors.  See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(3)(ii).
Duties which are of an executive or supervisory character are those which primarily provide the employee ultimate control and responsibility for the organization’s overall operation, or a major component of it.  See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(17) for a more complete definition.

Special qualifications are skills which make the employee’s services essential to the efficient operation of the business.  There are several qualities or circumstances which could, depending on the facts, meet this requirement.  These include, but are not limited to:

  • The degree of proven expertise in the employee’s area of operations
  • Whether others possess the employee’s specific skills
  • The salary that the special qualifications can command
  • Whether the skills and qualifications are readily available in the United States.

Knowledge of a foreign language and culture does not, by itself, meet this requirement.  Note that in some cases a skill that is essential at one point in time may become commonplace, and therefore no longer qualifying, at a later date.  See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(18) for a more complete definition.

Period of Stay

Qualified treaty investors and employees will be allowed a maximum initial stay of two years.  Requests for extension of stay may be granted in increments of up to two years each.  There is no maximum limit to the number of extensions an E-2 nonimmigrant may be granted.  All E-2 nonimmigrants, however, must maintain an intention to depart the United States when their status expires or is terminated.

An E-2 nonimmigrant who travels abroad may generally be granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the United States.  It is generally not necessary to file a new Form I-129 with USCIS in this situation.

Terms and Conditions of E-2 Status

A treaty investor or employee may only work in the activity for which he or she was approved at the time the classification was granted.  An E-2 employee, however, may also work for the treaty organization’s parent company or one of its subsidiaries as long as the:

  • Relationship between the organizations is established
  • Subsidiary employment requires executive, supervisory, or essential skills
  • Terms and conditions of employment have not otherwise changed.

See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(8)(ii) for details.

USCIS must approve any substantive change in the terms or conditions of E-2 status.  A “substantive change” is defined as a fundamental change in the employer’s basic characteristics, such as, but not limited to, a merger, acquisition, or major event which affects the treaty investor or employee’s previously approved relationship with the organization.  The treaty investor or enterprise must notify USCIS by filing a new Form I-129 with fee, and may simultaneously request an extension of stay for the treaty investor or affected employee.  The Form I-129 must include evidence to show that the treaty investor or affected employee continues to qualify for E-2 classification.

It is not required to file a new Form I-129 to notify USCIS about non-substantive changes.  A treaty investor or organization may seek advice from USCIS, however, to determine whether a change is considered substantive.  To request advice, the treaty investor or organization must file Form I-129 with fee and a complete description of the change.

See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(8) for more information on terms and conditions of E-2 treaty investor status.

A strike or other labor dispute involving a work stoppage at the intended place of employment may affect a Canadian or Mexican treaty investor or employee’s ability to obtain E-2 status.  See 8 CFR 214.2(e)(22) for details.

Family of E-2 Treaty Investors and Employees

Treaty investors and employees may be accompanied or followed by spouses and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age.  Their nationalities need not be the same as the treaty investor or employee.  These family members may seek E-2 nonimmigrant classification as dependents and, if approved, generally will be granted the same period of stay as the employee.  If the family members are already in the United States and are seeking change of status to or extension of stay in an E-2 dependent classification, they may apply by filing a single Form I-539 with fee.  Spouses of E-2 workers may apply for work authorization by filing Form I-765 with fee.  If approved, there is no specific restriction as to where the E-2 spouse may work.

As discussed above, the E-2 treaty investor or employee may travel abroad and will generally be granted an automatic two-year period of readmission when returning to the United States.  Unless the family members are accompanying the E-2 treaty investor or employee at the time the latter seeks readmission to the United States, the new readmission period will not apply to the family members.  To remain lawfully in the United States, family members must carefully note the period of stay they have been granted in E-2 status, and apply for an extension of stay before their own validity expires.

E-2 Inversionistas por Tratado Comercial

La clasificación de no inmigrante E-2 permite a un nacional de un país con el cual Estados Unidos mantiene un tratado de comercio y navegación,  ser admitido en Estados Unidos cuando invierte una cantidad sustancial de capital en una empresa estadounidense. Ciertos empleados de dicha persona o de una organización calificada también pueden ser elegibles para esta clasificación. (Para los familiares dependientes, consulte “Familia de los Inversionistas y Empleados de Tratado E-2” a continuación).

Quién puede Solicitar el Cambio de Estatus a la Clasificación E-2

Si el inversionista por tratado se encuentra actualmente en Estados Unidos en un estatus legal de no inmigrante, él o ella puede presentar el Formulario I-129 para solicitar un cambio de estatus a la clasificación E-2. Si el empleado deseado se encuentra actualmente en Estados Unidos en un estatus legal de no inmigrante, el empleador que reúne los requisitos puede presentar el Formulario I-129 a nombre del empleado.

Cómo Obtener la Clasificación E-2 si está Fuera de Estados Unidos

No se puede hacer una solicitud para la clasificación E-2 en el Formulario I-129 si la persona solicitada se encuentra físicamente fuera de Estados Unidos. Las partes interesadas deben consultar el sitio web del Departamento de Estado de EE. UU. para obtener más información sobre cómo solicitar una visa de no inmigrante E-2 en el extranjero. Una vez emitida la visa, la persona puede solicitar a un oficial de inmigración de DHS en el puerto de entrada de los EE. UU. ser admitido como no inmigrante E-2.

Requisitos Generales de un Inversionista por Tratado Comercial E-2

Para calificar para la clasificación E-2, el inversionista por tratado debe:

  • Ser ciudadano de un país con el cual Estados Unidos mantiene un tratado de comercio y navegación
  • Haber invertido, o está activamente en el proceso de inversión, una cantidad sustancial de capital en una empresa genuina en Estados Unidos.
  • Tratar de ingresar a Estados Unidos únicamente para desarrollar y dirigir la empresa de inversión. Esto se establece mostrando propiedad de al menos el 50% de la empresa o posesión del control operacional a través de un puesto gerencial u otro dispositivo corporativo.

Una inversión es la colocación de capital del inversionista por tratado, incluidos fondos y / u otros activos, en riesgo en el sentido comercial con el objetivo de generar una ganancia. El capital debe estar sujeto a pérdidas parciales o totales si la inversión falla. El inversionista del tratado debe demostrar que los fondos no se han obtenido, directa o indirectamente, de actividades delictivas. Vea 8 CFR 214.2 (e) (12) para más información.

Una cantidad sustancial de capital es:

  • Sustancial en relación con el costo total de comprar una empresa establecida o establecer una nueva
  • Suficiente para garantizar el compromiso financiero del inversionista por tratado con la operación exitosa de la empresa
  • De una magnitud que respalde la probabilidad de que el inversionista por tratado desarrolle y dirija exitosamente la empresa. Cuanto menor sea el costo de la empresa, mayor será, proporcionalmente, la inversión que debe considerarse sustancial.

Una empresa genuina se refiere a una empresa comercial o emprendedora real, activa y operativa que produce servicios o bienes con fines de lucro. Debe cumplir con los requisitos legales aplicables para hacer negocios dentro de su jurisdicción.

Empresas Marginales

La empresa de inversión puede no ser marginal. Una empresa marginal es aquella que no tiene la capacidad actual o futura de generar ingresos más que suficientes para proporcionar una vida mínima para el inversionista del tratado y su familia. Dependiendo de los hechos, una nueva empresa podría no considerarse marginal, incluso si carece de la capacidad actual para generar dicho ingreso. En tales casos, sin embargo, la empresa debe tener la capacidad de generar dichos ingresos dentro de los cinco años a partir de la fecha en que comienza la clasificación E-2 del inversionista en el tratado. Vea 8 CFR 214.2 (e) (15).

Requisitos Generales  del empleado de un Inversionista por Tratado E-2

Para calificar para la clasificación E-2, el empleado de un inversionista de tratado debe:

  • Tener la misma nacionalidad del empleador extranjero principal (que debe tener la nacionalidad del país del tratado)
  • Cumplir con la definición de “empleado” bajo la ley relevante
  • O bien participar en funciones de un carácter ejecutivo o de supervisión, o si se emplea en una capacidad menor, tener calificaciones especiales.

Si el principal empleador extranjero no es un individuo, debe ser una empresa u organización al menos un 50% propiedad de personas en Estados Unidos que tengan la nacionalidad del país del tratado. Estos propietarios deben mantener el estatus de inversionista  por tratado no inmigrante. Si los propietarios no están en Estados Unidos, deben ser, si buscaran la admisión a este país, clasificables como inversionista por tratado no inmigrantes. Vea 8 CFR 214.2 (e) (3) (ii).

Los deberes que son de carácter ejecutivo o de supervisión son aquellos que proporcionan principalmente al empleado el control y la responsabilidad última para la operación general de la organización, o un componente principal de la misma. Vea 8 CFR 214.2 (e) (17) para una definición más completa.

Las calificaciones especiales son habilidades que hacen que los servicios del empleado sean esenciales para la operación eficiente del negocio. Hay varias cualidades o circunstancias que podrían, según los hechos, cumplir este requisito. Estos incluyen, pero no están limitados a:

  • El grado de experiencia comprobada en el área de operaciones del empleado
  • Si otros poseen las habilidades específicas del empleado
  • El salario que las calificaciones especiales pueden exigir
  • Si las habilidades y calificaciones están disponibles en Estados Unidos.

El conocimiento de una lengua y cultura extranjeras no cumple por sí solo este requisito. Tenga en cuenta que, en algunos casos, una habilidad que es esencial en un punto en el tiempo puede convertirse en algo común y, por lo tanto, dejar de calificar en una fecha posterior. Vea 8 CFR 214.2 (e) (18) para una definición más completa.

Periodo de Estadía

Los inversionistas y empleados por tratado calificados tendrán una estadía inicial máxima de dos años. Las solicitudes de prórroga de estadía pueden otorgarse en incrementos de hasta dos años cada una. No hay un límite máximo para la cantidad de extensiones que se le puede otorgar a un no inmigrante E-2. Sin embargo, todos los no inmigrantes E-2 deben mantener la intención de abandonar Estados Unidos cuando su estatus venza o sea cancelado.

A un no inmigrante E-2 que viaja al exterior generalmente se le puede otorgar un período automático de readmisión de dos años cuando regrese a Estados Unidos. Por lo general, no es necesario presentar un nuevo Formulario I-129 con USCIS en esta situación.

Términos y Condiciones del Estatus E-2

Un inversionista o empleado por tratado solo puede trabajar en la actividad para la que fue aprobado en el momento en que se otorgó la clasificación. Sin embargo, un empleado E-2 también puede trabajar para la empresa matriz de la organización del tratado o una de sus subsidiarias, siempre que:

  • Se establezca una relación entre las organizaciones
  • El empleo subsidiario requiere habilidades ejecutivas, de supervisión, o esenciales
  • Los términos y condiciones de empleo no han cambiado.

Vea 8 CFR 214.2(e)(8)(ii) para más detalles.

USCIS debe aprobar cualquier cambio sustancial en los términos o condiciones del estatus E-2. Un “cambio sustancial” se define como un cambio fundamental en las características básicas del empleador, tales como, pero no limitado a, una fusión, adquisición o evento mayor que afecta al inversionista del tratado o la relación previamente aprobada del empleado con la organización. El inversionista o la empresa del tratado deben notificar a USCIS presentando un nuevo Formulario I-129 con una tarifa, y puede solicitar simultáneamente una extensión de la estadía para el inversionista del tratado o el empleado afectado. El Formulario I-129 debe incluir evidencia que demuestre que el inversionista del tratado o el empleado afectado continúan calificando para la clasificación E-2.

No es necesario presentar un nuevo Formulario I-129 para notificar a USCIS sobre cambios no sustantivos. Sin embargo, un inversionista  u organización de un tratado puede buscar el consejo de USCIS para determinar si un cambio se considera sustantivo. Para solicitar asesoramiento, el inversionista u organización del tratado debe presentar el Formulario I-129 con una tarifa y una descripción completa del cambio.

Vea 8 CFR 214.2(e)(8) para más información acerca de los términos y condiciones del estatus de Inversionista por Tratado E-2 .

Una huelga u otra disputa laboral que implique una interrupción del trabajo en el lugar de empleo previsto puede afectar a un comerciante de tratado canadiense o mexicano o la capacidad del empleado para obtener el estatus E-2. Vea 8 CFR 214.2 (e) (22) para más detalles.

Familia de Inversionistas y Empleados de Tratados E-2

Los inversionistas y empleados del tratado pueden estar acompañados o seguidos por cónyuges e hijos solteros menores de 21 años. Sus nacionalidades no necesitan ser las mismas que las del inversionista o empleado del tratado. Estos miembros de la familia pueden solicitar la clasificación de no inmigrante E-2 como dependientes y, si se aprueba, generalmente se les otorgará el mismo período de estadía que el empleado. Si los miembros de la familia ya están en Estados Unidos y buscan un cambio de estatus o una extensión de la estadía en una clasificación dependiente E-2, pueden presentar una solicitud presentando un solo Formulario I-539 con una tarifa. Los cónyuges de los trabajadores E-2 pueden solicitar la autorización de trabajo presentando el Formulario I-765 con una tarifa. Si se aprueba, no existe una restricción específica sobre dónde puede trabajar el cónyuge E-2.

Como se menciona  anteriormente, el inversionista o empleado del tratado E-2 puede viajar al exterior y generalmente se le otorgará un período de readmisión automático de dos años cuando regrese a Estados Unidos. A menos que los miembros de la familia estén acompañando al inversionista o empleado del tratado E-2 en el momento en que este último busca la readmisión en Estados Unidos, el nuevo período de readmisión no se aplicará a los miembros de la familia. Para permanecer legalmente en Estados Unidos, los miembros de la familia deben anotar cuidadosamente el período de estadía que se les ha otorgado en el estatus E-2 y solicitar una extensión de la estadía antes de que expire su propia validez.